Pages

Wednesday 25 December 2019

Week 2, Day 3 (SLJ)

Activity 1
For this activity, let’s imagine that the government decides to create a new $10 bank note and replace Kate with a picture of a different New Zealand woman. Tell us who you think the government should put on the new $10 note. Please provide us with a picture of this amazing woman and a short explanation of why you have selected her as Kate Sheppard’s replacement.

I know that this situation is hypothetical but I do not think that Kate Sheppard should be replaced. What she did was a huge step for New Zealand and the rest of the world and should be recognised. 
_________________________________________________
Activity 2
For this activity, we would like you like you to write a short story. The story can be about anything that you wish but to receive full points it must be at least 10 sentences long!
[ All the characters in this story are from DanPlan. ]

Under the Stars
On a beautiful night such as this, with the cold air gently playing with the fire, the sound of laughter ringing through Hosuh’s ears, he could stay like this for hours. As the sound of chatter slowly filled Hosuh’s thoughts, he drifted off to sleep. 

Not long after he had fallen asleep Stephen shook him awake. “Hosuh you can’t fall asleep now. We’ve only just arrived!” Stephen pouted. “Besides if you sleep out here you’ll probably catch a cold so…” Stephen’s face lit up and soon he ran off towards the car park. 

Hosuh turned back towards the campfire rubbing his eyes and noticed that Jay had brought a guitar and was teaching Dan and Ann how to play. Hosuh stood up and walked over to the three, placing himself near Ann, the closest to the fire. 
“Oh, hey, Hosuh!” Ann whispered, not taking her eyes off of the guitar. “How’s your night going?”
Hosuh looked up at the night sky, briefly mesmerized by the stars. “This is wonderful! How did you guys find this place?”
“Don’t tell anyone that I told you this but this was all Stephen’s idea-” but before Ann could finish she was interrupted with yelling.

Jay stopped tuning the guitar and looked up only to find-“Stephen I thought we agreed on-”
“Shush!” Stephen sprinted back to the campfire holding… blankets? “I knew that someone would get cold so me being the greatest friend, brought along five blankets for if any of us got cold!” Stephen rushed over to Hosuh and dropped the bottom blanket on his head. “Warm up!” Next he dropped a blanket on Ann, Jay and had two left over.

Dan covered his mouth with his hand and started coughing into it. 
“Hmm? Did you want something, Dan?” Stephen giggled, followed by everyone except Dan.
“Stephen,” Dan inched toward Stephen, Dan’s face an unreadable expression. 

Before they all knew it Dan started to sprint after Stephen, causing Stephen to drop both the blankets and run away. Ann and Hosuh both tried their bests to save the blankets but it was futile. Jay was snickering behind the pair. Ann and Hosuh, unknowingly, both stuck their tongues out at Jay. He broke out into a laugh.
“JAY! HELP ME!” Stephen wheezed out. 
Jay exhaled sharply before rubbing the tears off of his face. He sighed but still stood up.

This night was going to be good.


_________________________________________________ Activity 3

For this activity, choose a book that you like and write a short review of it. In the review, tell us what the book is about and what you like about it.

4 comments:

Erica said...

Kia ora Riiana,

It is lovely meeting you! I am so excited that you are joining us for the Summer Learning Journey 2019-2020. Have you done this programme before?

This is my first year joining the Summer Learning Journey, and I am so excited that I get to read over the Manaiakalani blogs.

I’m really looking forward to summer, aren't you? In my spare time I like spending time at the beach and hanging out with my friends. I also enjoy going for walks and I absolutely love cooking and baking. What are you looking forward to doing this summer?

I love your view on the $10 note. I agree, she did an incredible thing for women's right to vote and influenced the rest of the world. When did you start reading the Seven Signs series? What drew you to those books? I'd love to hear :)

Nga mihi
Erica

Anonymous said...

Hello Erica!

Yes I have done this before. This is my third time participating!

How are you liking your first time joining the SLJ team?

I am loving summer so far. I'm looking forward to getting out of the house and just drive around.

When my class were ordering our duffy books I spotted the first book of the series and was immediately drawn in. I had already picked my duffy books so I waited for it to appear in our school library.

I read it and I loved it. Probably because I'm a fan of the mystery genre.

It is lovely meeting you too!
Riiana :D

Alex said...

Hi Riiana,
I liked how you said that you liked the Seven Signs series because of the character interactions, and the good relationships they all had with each other. I also liked how you said that you wouldn't want Kate Sheppard to be replaced on the $10 note. Are there any other books series that you like?

Anonymous said...

Kia ora Alex,

I'm glad you asked! I also enjoy reading Tombquest and Infinity Rings.

Tombquest followes the story of the main character Alex and his best girl friend Ren. As Alex is about to die his mother uses the Book of the Dead to heal him. In doing so she releases evil Ancient Egyptian forces that Alex and Ren try to get back into the book.

Infinity Ring follows the story of the main characters, Dak, Sera and Riq and together they go back in time trying to prevent a cataclysm from happening in their time.

Post a Comment