Pages

Friday 10 January 2020

Week 3, Day 2 (SLJ)

For this activity, we would like you to select one of the pictures below and to study or observe it closely. What do you see?
Image Attribution: Day and Night, 1938, by MC Escher. Images courtesy of Collection Gemeentemuseum Den Haag/the MC Escher Company.


The first thing I noticed were the birds. The white birds are facing the right and are flying over the black part of the picture. The black birds are facing the left and flying over the white part of the picture. There are less black birds than white. As the birds get closer to the floor they start merging with it. The reflections are the same but one of them has been flipped.
_________________________________________________
For this activity, we would like to hear about a time when you, or someone you know, experienced a challenge and overcame it.

Back in 2018 Ruapotaka held a powhiri (Maori welcoming ceremony) for our current principal, Mrs Hamilton. This was our schools' first time hosting one and I was the kaikaranga or caller, a person who calls on the guests. I was extremely nervous as I dislike speaking in front of crowds and raising my voice. 

A few minutes later after a pep talk with the other prefects I mustered up the courage to begin the karanga.

The rest of the day I spent being embarrassed because I had thought I'd done a bad job. The next week I got over it though.
_________________________________________________
For this activity we would like you to give coding a try. Click on the link for the website: code.org. If you try an activity and it is too easy, try a harder level!

I thought that this coding app was okay but I would not use this again. I didn't find the instructions to be too clear but I managed to get around. Although I did enjoy listening to the scribbling noises.

8 comments:

Heather Collins said...

Great collective postings again Riiana...I know Mrs Hamilton truly appreciated the powhiri at RPS when she began there, you played a very special part in welcoming her onto the school grounds aso be proud of what you have achieved!

Coding can be fun...check out https://www.grinchhourofcode.com its's very seasonal and quite simple initially!


Anonymous said...

Kia ora Ms Collins!

I checked out the site and you're right, it is very simple! I managed to go through all 20 levels and I had fun.

Anonymous said...

Oh I forgot to ask, how did you find the site?

Heather Collins said...

Fun coding eh Riiana - I found it through the hour of code which I use in my lessons...

Daniel said...

Hi Riiana

Good job on completing these activities. I also noticed the birds when I first looked at the picture. I think that it looks really nice, especially with the contrast between black and white. I also used to get nervous speaking in front of heaps of people but after doing it a couple of times I got over it. It's great to hear that you also overcame your nerves! Keep up the awesome work.

Daniel

Anonymous said...

Kia ora Daniel!

Wow! Kudos to you! Were you able to fully get over your nerves?

Looking forward to your response,
Riiana

Alex said...

Hi Riiana,
I liked how you described the painting with lots of detail, and also how you said that it looks like the whole thing's been flipped. I found it interesting that you wouldn't want to use the coding app again, do you not like coding?

Anonymous said...

Kia ora Alex,

I'm neutral about coding. If I had to do coding then I'd do it but if I'm not forced to then I wouldn't. I'm sorry if that isn't clear!

- Riiana

Post a Comment