Pages

Sunday 22 December 2019

Week 1, Day 4 (SLJ)

[Post set-up inspired by Lillyana]
Activity 1
For this activity, watch these videos about Serena and Venus Williams. On your blog, tell us three things that you learned from watching these videos, as well as one thing you would still like to know.
_________________________________________________
Activity 2
For this activity, tell us what you would change your name to and why you would choose that name.

Back in 2016 I spent a lot of days thinking of a new name for myself. I came to the conclusion of calling myself 'Ana'. Yes, I shortened my name. This was because I was not happy with my name. I disliked it because of how uncommon it was and how people had a hard time pronoucing it. Some even mocked me because they couldn't pronounce it correctly (though looking back now that is 100% not my problem).

That same year I asked my mum who named me and why I was given that name. Turned out my mum named me "Riiana" because she was trying to name me after her culture. It was orginally going to be Rīana but she said that it looked dumb and so she added in the second 'i'.

After that I stopped trying to change my name. The story behind my name isn't deep but I have come to absolutely love my name.

Long story short, I wouldn't change my name. I use 'Ana' and a couple of other names as a nickname but that's it.
_________________________________________________
Activity 3
For this activity, imagine that you were asked to create a travel brochure for Tonga (or a country that is important to you). On the brochure, include lots of great tips about what to see and do in the country.

5 comments:

Heather Collins said...

Hi Riiana, this is Mrs Collins from Manaiakalani and I'll be commenting on blogs over term break. Well done on posting and participating in the SLJ this year. Great job on your postings - which one was your favourite to complete? Keep blogging, and commenting on others, to increase your chance of winning one of the awesome prizes and to keep up your learning over the school break!

Florence said...

Hi Riiana!
I loved reading you brochure about Samoa. I also did this activity with the same country. I really love that you added photos to guide your texts. I think you should work on attributing the images to give credit to the person that owns the photo.
Keep up the great work!
Blog you later!
~ Florence

Anonymous said...

Kia ora Florence!

I had totally forgot about that. Thank you for the reminder, I'll make sure to do that more!

Thank you again,
Riiana

Alex said...

Hi Riiana,
I liked how you said that Samoa has lots to offer, and we could see what it's like to be immersed in culture. I also liked how you said that although you felt it was too uncommon, you've come to like your name. Have you been to Samoa and visited those different places in your brochure?

Anonymous said...

Kia ora Alex,

I have not been to Samoa but I would love to! I have some family over there and I've been wanting to seem them again!! I would also love to visit the places I mentioned in the brochure.

- Riiana

Post a Comment