Pages

Sunday 19 January 2020

Week 4, Day 5 (SLJ)

Activity 1
On your blog, write a review of The Royal Family performance. Please talk about the dance, dancers, costumes, and the music. What did you like? What didn’t you like as much? What do you think could have been improved?
Video Link

They put on a (what I thought was) flawless performance!! Everyone was in sync and dancing on beat with the music. If there were mistakes they didn't let it show. 

The chereography was very intricate. Some of the dance moves I was amazed at. They looked incredibly hard to pull off but the dancers had that look of confidence. I think that's where some of the charm comes from. I really love how they transitioned between songs. 

Regarding the costumes, I thought that they were alright. It made the dancers stand out, the girls more so than the boys. I just think that the boys' costumes were being overshadowed and they weren't popping like the rest of the group.

Overall it was spectacular! The chereography, the songs and the dancers themselves were amazing,

_________________________________________________
Activity 2
For this activity, please choose your favourite inspirational quote from this website. Create a text graphic using this quote.
On your blog, share your text graphic and underneath it, explain what it means to you.
"Nothing is particularly hard if you break it down into small jobs." Henry Ford

I interepreted this quote as "if you have a hard-to-overcome problem break it into smaller jobs and work from there." This quote stood out to me as I tend to make a problem bigger than it is. 
_________________________________________________
Activity 3
For this activity, please reflect on your experience with the Summer Learning Journey programme this year.

On your blog please tell us:
Which activity you enjoyed the most?
I enjoyed completing week 1, day 5, activity 3, which was writing about an influencer. It was so fun connecting with the rest of the community! Here's the link to that post: blog post.

Which activity you enjoyed the least?
I wasn't a big fan on drawing our dream vehicle. Here's the link to that post: blog post.

Three things that you learned while completing the programme?
Participating in this years' SLJ has really opened my eyes to what's going on around the world and I got to learn about simpler things.
For instance, the protests happening at Ihumatao and how I could help those over in Australia. I also learnt that tiny houses exist. 

What changes/improvements you would make to the programme for next year?
Maybe adding a form where you could submit a screenshot or link to blogs you've commented on.

I think I had the most fun in participating in this years' SLJ. I loved the theme and most of the activities were absolutely fun to complete! If I could I would definitely participate in the next one.

14 comments:

Daniel said...

Hi Riiana

My name is Daniel and I am part of the SLJ program. Well done on completing all of the activities! The quote from Henry Ford that you have found is great - I also tend to make problems seem bigger than they actually are. Your interpretation of the quote is also spot on. Breaking something big and hard down into smaller and easier things can be very helpful, especially when you are solving a difficult problem at school! You've done a great job!

Daniel

Heather Collins said...

Well done on posting, continuing to participate and completing the SLJ this year. What could you do to be a climate changemaker Riiana? Keep checking your blogging and commenting on others and reply to EVERY comment to increase your chance of winning one of the awesome prizes and to keep up your learning over the school break!

SLJ Manaiakalani Cluster said...

Kia ora Riiana

CONGRATULATIONS on completing this years' SLJ programme, "Changemakers: People who have changed the world" - I have to say, I am really impressed by your perseverance. I'm also very stoked that you literally carried your school mates in this competition! You not only participated but you finished the WHOLE thing! I also see that you're leaving thoughtful comments, which is awesome, cos it actually takes you that much closer to winning the top prize. I'm cheering for you, Riiana!

Alright, now that that's out of the way, I'd like to comment on your response to activity 1: Dancing Queens.
I agree, Parris Goebel's choreography skills are NEXT LEVEL. More so, her crew are so fantastic and their attitude and flare really fit the mould of Parris's creations.

I like that you've thought deeply about the performance - in regards to costume, you're right, the men are overshadowed by the women. Why do you think that is?

Congratulations once again Riiana! Please keep commenting on other learners' stuff and don't be shy to use the Manaiakalani Twitter Feed to leave thoughtful comments on learners' blog posts across the rest of Aotearoa!
https://sites.google.com/manaiakalani.org/aneffectivebloggingsystem/twitterfeed

Ngā mihi nui ki a koe
Jordan

Anonymous said...

Hello Daniel!

It's really problematic when you make such a big deal out of a problem T-T.

Thank you!! :D

- Riiana

Anonymous said...

Kia ora Ms Collins!

Thank you! I would start by picking up rubbish in my community, or anywhere I see stray rubbish, and encourage everyone I know to do the same.

Thank you for commenting on my blog!!

-Riiana

Anonymous said...

Kia ora Jordan!!

Aww thank you so much!!! :)

I hope I read your question properly. I think they're being overshadowed because of the colour of their costume. There's too much black compared to the neon pink.

I appreciate every comment you have left on my blog!!

-Riiana :D

SLJ Manaiakalani Cluster said...

Kia ora Riiana

I see that you continue to upload posts with the amount of comments you've been making, well done! Just to let you know, we have a learner from PBS with currently 250 comments made!

In regards to the dancing - you have read my question properly and I see what you mean by overshadowed due to costume. But what I was really trying to stimulate was some deeper, critical thinking. It's interesting that Parris's dance groups are predominantly female - now why do you think that this, and how do you think the dimmer costumes for the men played a part in this?

Cheers,
Jordan

Mrs Hamilton said...

Kia ora Riiana,
Well done on completing your SLJ. There have been a range of activities that you have completed. Some you liked and some you didn't. Some have changed or extended your thinking. Always try to see things from different perspectives and never be afraid to share your thinking as long as you are respectful. I like the idea of you picking up rubbish, what else can you do? I have been thinking of things we can do as a school. Would love to hear your ideas more.

Anonymous said...

Hello Mrs Hamilton!

Thank you for the advice!! I'll be trying to do that more!

I can recyle more, reduce the amount of time I spend on electronic devices, and try to avoid using too many dispoable products.

- Riiana

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hello Jordan!

I'm sorry for the late reply but I am unable to answer your question. I don't know why but I just can't form an actually solid answer. Sorry for the letdown!!! :((

Alex said...

Hi Riiana,
I liked how you described the performance as flawless, and the music as intricate. I also liked how you said that you thought their costumes were alright. Would you want to join a dance group?

Anonymous said...

Kia ora Alex,

Hello! Thank you for comemnting on my blog!

I would not like to join a dance group. It may be fun to watch others dance but I don't find it enjoyable to dance. I hope that made sense lol.

- Riiana:D

Post a Comment