Pages

Sunday 22 December 2019

Week 1, Day 5 (SLJ)

Activity 1
For this activity, please share three things that you treasure and say why they are treasures to you.
_________________________________________________
Activity 2
For this activity, retell the story of the amazing Yusra Mardini.
Yusra Mardini, born in Syria, became a refugee as a teenager in 2015. Her, along with 23 other people, were close to capsizing as their boats' engine had failed, until Yusra, her sister and two other passengers had volunteered to push the boat for three and a half hours. Thanks to those four everyone lived.

A year later the International Olympic Commitee recognised Yusra's courage, determination and strong swimming skills and ended up becoming a member of the first ever Refugee Olympic Team. She comepeted in the Rio Olympics in 2016, helping to represent 65 million displaced people worldwide.

Over the years she has been awarded many prestegious awards and has met world leaders such as Barack Obama and Pope Francis.
_________________________________________________
Activty 3
For this activity, please choose one person (a changemaker) and read all about them.

6 comments:

Heather Collins said...

Hi Riiana, this is Mrs Collins from Manaiakalani and I'll be commenting on blogs over term break. Well done on posting and participating in the SLJ this year. I really like the three activities that you posted on your blog...which one was your favourite to complete? Keep blogging, and commenting on others, to increase your chance of winning one of the awesome prizes and to keep up your learning over the school break!

Anonymous said...

Kia ora Mrs Collins!

My favourite one to complete has to be Activity 3.

Blog you later,
Riiana

Florence said...

Hi Riiana!
Im Florence from Panmure Bridge school. I loved your second activity as I also know Thomas Sanders. I loved how you included screenshots of people saying what they have been impacted on by Thomas himself.
Keep up the great work!
Blog you later!
~ Florence

Anonymous said...

Kia ora Florence!

Thank you for commenting!! :D

Kind regards,
Riiana

Alex said...

Hi Riiana,
I liked how you said that one of three things you treasure most is relationships. I also liked how you said that Thomas Sanders is a role model because he teaches people life lessons, what has he taught you?

Anonymous said...

Kia ora Alex,

Thomas has taught me so many things! He's taught me to reach out for help when I need it, he taught me that being selfish isn't necessarily bad and he's taught me how to be more comfortable in my skin.

I could go on and on but I don't think anyone wants to read a novel in the comments LMAO.

- Riiana

Post a Comment